Discover a healthier twist on a classic Greek favorite with our recipe for Air Fried Zucchini. This simple yet delightful dish offers a crispy texture with a burst of Mediterranean flavors. Using an air fryer, you can enjoy these zucchini bites guilt-free, as they require minimal oil while still providing a satisfying crunch.
This Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini will make a great side for your next meal or during summer when you are grilling more outside. You can prepare them as a side or an appetizer and cook them in the Air Fryer while you prepare delicious burgers outside on the grill.
Ingredients for the Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini
- Zucchini sliced into long pieces
- All-purpose flour
- Panko breadcrumbs
See the recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for the Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini
Preparing the Crispy Zcchuni is easy, and you will need more than 10-15 minutes to get them on the table for your guests.
Slice the zucchini long way and put them in a bowl.
Add water and ice to the bowl – this will help the zucchini to stay crispy when cooked.
Add the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then the zucchini.
Shake everything well until the zucchini is covered with the flour and panko mix. They are ready to go in the air fryer!
As they cook in the air fryer, mix the yogurt, lemon, and dill in a bowl for a delicious yogurt sauce.
Hint: You can skip the ice bath for the zucchini. However, that will greatly help in making them crispy. Also, the thinner your zucchini are, the crispier they will become. However, you must also be mindful of your cooking time so they don’t burn.
Substitutions in the Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini
- Gluten Free – substitute your flour and panko with gluten-free variations (like almond flour)
- No Panko – If you don’t have panko, you can substitute it with corn or just extra flour.
- Add Yellow Squash – Play a bit with the colors, flavor and texture by mixing zucchini and yellow squash.
- Deep Fry – If you don’t have Air Fryer, pour avocado oil into a Dutch oven or a deep pan and fry the zucchini. You will have to let them rest on a paper towel after cooking to remove excess fat.
To make these Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini, you’ll need an air fryer, two bowls for coating the zucchini, and tongs.
Mo oven has an Air fryer setting, but I also use my InstaPot Air Fryer for smaller quantities.
For optimal texture and flavor, it is best to enjoy the Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini immediately after cooking. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. They will lose their crisp with re-heating, but you will have the same amazing flavor.
Make sure your zucchini are equal in size; otherwise, some will burn, and others won’t be cooked.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Crispy Greek Zucchini
- 2 medium-sized zucchini evenly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tbsp fresh dill
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes. Or start it based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Slice your zucchini and put them in a bowl filled with water and ice.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, panko breadcrumbs, salt, and paprika.
- Take the zucchini out of the water bath and put them in the bowl with the flour mix. Mix everything well until the zucchini and well coated.
- Place the coated zucchini sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Air fry the zucchini for about 10-12 minutes, flipping them halfway through to ensure even browning. or follow your manufacturer's instructions
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing yogurt, lemon juice and dill
- Cook until the zucchini turn golden brown and become crispy on the outside.
- Remove the air-fried zucchini from the fryer and serve with the sauce on the side.
- Ensure the zucchini is fresh and free from any mold or bruises.
- Thoroughly wash the zucchini before slicing and using it in the recipe.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines when using the air fryer.